Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Vanilla Extract

Ingredients/Supplies
1.75L Vodka
25 Vanilla Beans
12 - 4oz bottles (Boston Round Bottles work best)

Directions
Cut the vanilla beans in half, then cut each half in half again the long way. I used scissors to do this part because it's way easier. Next put 8 pieces in each bottle (you'll have three pieces left over, just put them in whatever bottle you want), then fill the bottle with vodka. Put the lid on and allow to steep for one month. The vodka will turn from a clear to a dark amber color.

My Take
It's really an easy project, I was done with the entire process in about a half an hour. I'm making them to sell to raise money for Relay for Life, but these would make a great gift any time of the year, plus the longer they steep the better they are! I found the vanilla beans on eBay for WAY cheaper than what you can purchase them at any grocery store. And I got the Boston Round Bottles from U-Line, but they're also available on Amazon and other sites. I'll post an update with the finished product in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment