Saturday, November 12, 2011

Takes Two to Tango

Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
Ingredients:
4 medium potatoes, skins on, scrubbed and diced*
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2c grated parmesan
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp paprika salt and pepper to taste

Directions: 
In a large bowl, toss potatoes with olive oil, parmesan, garlic salt, and paprika. Spread potatoes out on a large baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees 30-40 minutes, stirring potatoes every 10-15 minutes for even browning. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm. *The most important thing is to keep the potato pieces about the same size so they cook evenly. I like to slice the potatoes in half lengthwise, then slice each half lengthwise again, then dice. I end up with 16-20 pieces per potato. You can end up with more or fewer, just try to keep the pieces the same size.

My Take:
Well, I think that I cut my potatoes too big, or they were just too big to begin with because mine looked nothing like the perfect potatoes in her picture, but regardless they were delicious. I think next time I will mix the ingredients together BEFORE I put the potatoes in to coat them. Also I'll cut smaller pieces of potatoes and probably not use as many either. The recipe says to use four, but I only did three potatoes and they weren't coated with a lot of seasoning. So I think two potatoes would be just fine for two people and then they'd be more flavorful. I still have a ton left over so I've got dinner for tonight too!


Sauteed Garlic Broccoli
Ingredients:
8 oz Package Broccolini (aka baby broccoli)
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Garlic Cloves, minced finely Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions:
In a fry pan, melt butter and add garlic. Wash broccolini thoroughly, then add to the fry pan and coat in butter mixture and saute for 10 minutes on medium high heat, then lower heat and cover for another 10 minutes.

My Take:
First off I bough fresh broccoli, I didn't use a package of broccolini like the recipe calls for. So I just cut up 2 stalks of it and used it all. After put the broccoli I realized I didn't have a lid for my pan, and I don't own a pan with a lid, so like everything else I try and cook I decided to wing it lol. I eventually had to add some more butter because it had all cooked in or evaporated and even then I ended up taking the broccoli off before it was fully cooked. It was REALLY crunchy and I would have liked it to be a tad softer, but all in all it wasn't bad. The original recipe calls it "Sauteed Parmesan Garlic Butter Broccoli" but there wasn't anything in it about the parmesan so I just left it out all together. I'm sure I could have just tossed some in and it would be just fine.


Rice Crispy Treats
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies

Directions:
In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Add Rice Krispies and stir until well coated. Using buttered spatula press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day. Makes 12 to 15 squares.

My Take:
I'm starting to think I can't follow a recipe to save my life hahaha. I didn't want to buy mini marshmallows because I had the GIANT ones at home, so I just used those. But after everything was finished the treats were a tad tough and we determined that it was because it took SO long to cook the big ones down that they kind of toughened up. So stick to the recipe and use the mini ones. Also, I used the 13 x 9 pan and they're only like a 1/2" thick so I would use a smaller pan if possible too. Other than that they taste pretty good.


*The main course for the dinner was store bought pulled pork, all I had to do was heat it up in a microwave.


2 comments:

  1. I think I need to come to your house for dinner! Way better than the chips and dip I had tonight. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, I had that for dinner a couple nights ago too :)

    ReplyDelete