Saturday, October 8, 2011

Not So Chicken Alfredo


½ of a 1 pound package fettuccine
1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli flowerets
2 Tablespoons butter
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
1 can (10 ¾ ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
½ cup milk
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions:
1. Prepare the fettuccine according to the package directions in a 3-quart saucepan. Add the broccoli during the last 4 minutes of cooking.
2. Drain the linguine mixture well in a colander.
3. Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add the chicken and cook until it's well browned, stirring often.
5. Stir the soup, milk, cheese, black pepper and linguine mixture in the skillet.
6. Cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling, stirring occasionally. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
7. Serve with warm buttered brown and serve dinner rolls.

I called it a "Not So Chicken Alfredo" because I left the chicken out all together. It's not that I'm a vegetarian, although I should be with as much as I love animals, it's that I'm too big of a baby to touch raw meat. It just grosses me out beyond belief, so I just don't do it. I tried to feed my dogs a RAW diet for a couple months and I had to use gloves just to do it, then afterward I'd scrub down like I was going into surgery...EW GROSS! Anyway, since I didn't do chicken, I just added 2 cups of broccoli instead of one and took out step 4 all together.

So this probably would have worked out a bit better had I remembered to add the soup in with step 5. I had gotten all done and had it on my plate, looked over and there was the stupid can of Cream of Mushroom soup on my table. *facepalm* So I just dumped everything back into the saucepan and added the soup, turned the stove on medium and stirred it in really well. I didn't look as pretty as the picture, but it still tasted great...for the most part. I JUST realized it says "¼ teaspoon ground black pepper"...I definitely put in a whole teaspoon of the stuff. I thought that it was really peppery. I swear I'm a genius. NOT! Now I feel like an idiot, oh well, live and learn.

I also didn't use fettuccine noodles either, purely for the fact that I like the way the Rigatoni noodles look. Plus I already had some at home and didn't feel like spending any more money at the grocery store than I already was. And lastly, Texas Toast sounded better than dinner rolls so I went that route, but I didn't do my own; I bought the frozen, make-in-five-minutes ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment