Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumped Up Pumpkin Seeds

1 1/2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons butter, melted
1 pinch salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Toss seeds in a bowl with the melted butter and salt. Spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown; stir occasionally.

Halloween is my absolute FAVORITE holiday (then Easter, then St. Patty's Day...weird I know) so I was really looking forward to carving pumpkins as I do every year. But since I moved out on my own seven years ago I haven't had roasted pumpkin seeds. My mom would make them every year while my sister and I carved our pumpkins, so I was determined to learn how to do it. After putting in the Google search I found out that it was like the easiest thing ever to make so I was pumped! Then I saw different reviews of recipes talking about using different spices other than just regular salt. There was cayenne pepper, Lowry's seasoned salt, cinnamon sugar...everything!! So I decided that butter garlic pumpkin seeds were the best thing since sliced bread and THAT is what I was going to make!!

In one of the reviews someone had said that it was best to let the seeds dry out over night rather than roasting them straight out of the pumpkin, so I spread them out on a cookie sheet (in a single layer) and left them there. I was really hopping for pumpkin seeds last night, but I am SO glad that I waited for them to dry...I'll talk about why later.

First off, I had 2 cups of pumpkin seeds so I upped the butter to 3 teaspoons and instead of a "pinch" of salt I added 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt and melted them together in the microwave. Then I added the seeds to the butter garlic and mixed them all around until they were all covered in goodness. Once again I spread them out evenly on the cookie sheet (in a single layer) and popped them in the oven. Another one of the reviews said to mix them every ten minutes, I did about halfway through and that was it and they came out just fine. So going back to why you should let them dry overnight; the seeds roast up better and are extra crispy :) When my mom made them, they kind of had a bitter taste probably from being so fresh, but I think this way is a lot better. Sorry mom!! I have one more pumpkin left...I'm going to try taco pumpkin seeds next!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment